Thursday, August 4, 2005

Things that are Impossible to Open

Today I needed to open a bottle of weed killer. You might not think that this is such a big deal, but you would be wrong.

Why is it that products are coming more and more with impossible to open sealed caps?

I take the lid off the bottle. Underneath the lid is one of those sealed paper things that are ostensibly supposed to make sure that you know your product has not been tampered with. It's easy to tell, because NO ONE could tamper with it as the da** things are impossible to remove. There is nowhere to get a grip on them, and they appear to be integrated to the top of the bottle. After spending some time trying to pry it open with my fingernails (this did not work, btw) I then decided to punch a hole in it with a screwdriver. Why a screwdriver? Cause it's Weedkiller - and I'm not going to use a knife - I might then use the knife to eat with and poison myself. So. After punching a hole in the top with the screwdriver, I now have a paper capped bottle with a screw-driver shaped hole in the top.

I could now use my fingers to remove the rest of the cap. Which I did. Unfortunately, during this process I did get some amount of weedkiller on my hands, as it was impossible to remove the cap otherwise.

After this whole, extremely frustrating, experience, I then assuaged my feelings by going out and spraying the stuff on some poor unsuspecting plants, whose only crime was to be growing where I didn't want them to grow.

I've washed my hands really well of course, but I have to wonder if this is some deep laid plot on the part of the companies to cause maximum irritation in their customers.

... In the boardroom ...

"Heh, heh - hey, I know, let's start putting on caps that are impossible to remove! We'll call it a security measure!"

Everyone sitting around the table laughs insanely and passes the motion.

This is the real reason we have these things plastered onto otherwise innocently usable products.

No comments:

Post a Comment