Monday, August 29, 2005

Bike Commuting

Fiasco: A complete failure.

I WAS going to bike-commute today. I swear I was. First of all to save on gas, which is becoming a major expense. Pretty soon now they are going to start asking for blood along with the money. "That'll be an ounce of blood per gallon please." Besides the fact that I am a cheapskate and do not feel like supporting the oil refineries, the second and more noble motive is to keep me in shape.

The universe conspired against me today though.

I got all my stuff ready last night and set the alarm, which faithfully went off at oh-dark-30. After I remembered, that yes, I HAD done that on purpose, I got up, got into my Cool Bike Clothing (T-shirt and shorts) and prepared to take off.

Then, I got out the information sheet just to make sure that everything was as it should be. As I started reading, it looked like Greek. Oh, that's because it's upside down. Ok, ummm.... it still looks like Greek.

Should start at 8:30 - why does this say 7:30?

Should be at Very Convenient to Bike Path Location - why does this say it's Not There, You Fool. It's Way to Hell and Gone Out There.

Read it again just to make sure, and again. What happened here? My theory is someone came in and switched it on me, out of pure maliciousness. Things like this happen to me all the time.

Luckily, I had arisen Very Early. So, I did the Superman clothing trick, where you walk into a phone booth and walk out 10 seconds later as a completely different person. In my case, I transformed from Bike Goddess to Serious Educator, and then walked out the door. Only an hour in my car later, I arrived, 5 minutes early, at 7:25.

I was really thinking that I could bike-commute tomorrow, but no, because we have to appear at Ridiculous Location for the morning, and then at lunch (i.e. commute while eating) we have to go to our school site for the afternoon session.

However, I WILL Bike Commute sometime this week. No Matter What.

No comments:

Post a Comment