Saturday, August 13, 2005

Long Ride

Today I did my longest ride of the year so far. 27.75 miles.

I'm here to say that the last 10 miles of this ride were not all that pleasant. Mostly because I was sick of sitting on the saddle, and my legs were definitely ready to call it a day.

However.

Although I still can't ride up hills that other people (read: thinner/fitter cyclists) can, I CAN ride up hills that when I started riding a few years back caused me to have to stop, pant and rest. Fitness is an interesting thing, and cycling fitness actually seems to have some hold over from year to year. What is really interesting is that hills/rides that took me a LONG time to build up to when I started are just not that big of a deal now. OK, they are hard, because my cycling fitness is not where it used to be, but they aren't "Please, let me die now" kind of events. A ride I approached with trepidation, feeling unprepared for it, actually turned out to be doable. Not easy, but not a killer either.

What do I remember from today?

Really wanting to get off my bike at mile 18, and being SO grateful there was a bench there so I could sit down and rest.

Riding up a hill and thinking "Hey, this isn't so bad!"

The wind in my face.

Enjoying the sight of three or four horses, minding their own business.

Watching the guys at the skate park a little too intently, and riding off the trail, but keeping my head and getting back on track with no harm done.

Drinking in the sight of the hills basking in the late afternoon light.

The sunlight and shadow playing on the fields of grass.

This is why I ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment