Saturday, August 6, 2005

Donner Open Water Swim

Today I swam Donner Lake. Not just across the lake. Oh no. Down the longest part of the lake. I swam it end to end. 2.7 miles worth of swimming. I still cannot quite believe that I did it.

This was an organized swim put on by the Sierra Nevada Masters and it was cool. How many times in your life do you get to jump into a body of water, disregard the boats and just swim? How many people can say they've done something like that?

The last part of this swim was difficult for me, as my arms were so tired that freestyle was a real challenge. I reverted to breaststroke a lot. I admit to thoughts of quitting during the swim - but mostly it was a meditative experience. Me, the water, the sun, the shore. Swimming at it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment