Thursday, September 29, 2005

Technology and High School

Technology: The scientific method and material used to achieve a commercial or industrial objective.

We use it everywhere. Gas stations, grocery stores, the local flea market, in the office. And yet, our school system doesn't really utilize it. Why is anyone surprised that our students aren't prepared to take the jobs that are available when they get out of school?

The high school I teach in got new mathematics textbooks. And not just the textbook. The system contains full powerpoint presentations for the text as well as CD and online access. The computer version of the text has very cool movies and interactivity sections that allow the student to explore the mathematical principle without having to write it all down on paper. When I saw all this stuff, I thought, finally I will be able to teach my classes, the way that I taught when I was in the corporate environment.

However, it's not as easy as that to use technology in our schools. I have a macintosh computer in my classroom. There is only one LCD projector that can be used with the mac at our school. I'm going to check it out and see if all I need is an adaptor so that I can use any LCD projector. I really do feel it's important to expose the students to technology as it's used in a business environment, not just as a computer game. I seriously want to make it part of my classroom.

You can also load your classes online and track them. Give them a name and a password, and they can access the text online and not only that, each student can take online interactive quizzes which are instantly scored, so you can see immediately how your class is doing without having to do all of that painful by hand grading.

I've tried communicating this to the other math teachers. You would have thought I was offering poison.

"The kids are having a hard enough time already, just finding the page number."

"Wow, that sounds like a lot of work! I don't think I'll do that."

Does anyone else find this very sad and frustrating? Shouldn't we (as teachers) be using all of the tools that we have in order to better prepare our students to be productive members of society, and not incidentally, to be able to make a decent living?

No comments:

Post a Comment