Sunday, July 25, 2010

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

I was planning on hiking around Angel Island, but I got going late and did you know that the ferry stops running at 4:00 pm?  I didn't want to be thinking about not making the ferry back, since then I wouldn't be enjoying the experience, I'd just be thinking about missing the ferry. Yes, I am a basket case.

As usual, when it's hot weather in the East Bay, it's cold, windy and overcast on the coast. 

So, I ended up exploring the Marin Headlands and eventually made it over to Rodeo Beach. What I don't know is why I haven't been over to this area before because it was very scenic. I'll definitely be back.

I parked at the visitor's center and in the interests of getting at least a short hike took the trail from there down to Rodeo beach.
Along the way I saw some wild roses. They were growing in big bushes at various places along the trail. I love the smell of roses and these smelled amazing. The thorns were wicked though, I guess the pain of sticking myself was worth it.



The trail dipped down through a shaded glade and there were some of these tall purple flowers. I think they might be a variety of penstemon but I'm not sure.










Made it down to the beach and just sat for a while watching and listening to the ocean. It was nice and relaxing. I headed back when I started feeling really cold. The wind was blowing and it was overcast, although the sun did manage to break through here and there.







All in all it was a really great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment