Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Laptops and Life

Dismay: to surprise in such a manner as to disillusion.

My sister, who although a great person in many ways is a bit lacking in tech knowledge. She wants a new laptop, but when she went looking for one she was overwhelmed with all the "tech speak" (i.e. let's create a list of specifications that no-one but a certified tech geek will understand) so, of course, she gave me a call.

Luckily, I've been researching a laptop myself being totally fed up with this lovely computer that I was provided with when I was hired.

Yeah. You're right. It's an iMac. An ancient iMac. Plus the Powers That Be locked the rights to the system down so tight that you can't say... update Internet Explorer so you could, you know, maybe get on and check email and such things as that. Which is interesting since we (the teachers) are all supposed to be happily online connecting in the virtual world.

You can't connect a LCD projector to this thing either, because Mac, in their infinite wisdom decided that since the system was self-contained such things as exterior video ports were completely unnecessary.

I could go on about my total disgust with my current work computer, but since that isn't what I actually wanted to talk about let's go back to the actual topic which is:

The Joys of Ordering an HP Laptop
So, I've researched computers ad nauseum and decided that an HP Pavilion would fit the bill nicely for both of us. I got myself a Pretty Good HP Pavilion, nothing super special but with the specs I wanted. I ordered my sister the Special Edition (otherwise known as ICY, so cool and hip it came out white) from HP. She's a little paranoid about computer failures, so she also got the 4 year warranty and as a bonus the car adaptor.

Just to recap. I ordered one computer, with warranty and an AC car adaptor. I finalize the order, HP sends me an email saying that they got my order. Then this morning, I get another email saying that my order has shipped.

"Wow," I think in surprise. "That was stellar fast!" I'm especially thinking this because the estimated build date was Nov 12. So, I open the email which states that they are going to send me PART of my order so I can be even more happy. So, what exactly are they sending me?

The AC car adaptor and the warranty. Oh yeah, that's SO useful without the computer. For some reason I'm more dismayed by this than ecstatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment